Tuesday 20 January 2009

South Africa - Part 2

I said there were going to be two places that I would describe from Cape Town, but I am going to have to squeeze in a third. This was at Sevruga, on the Waterfront, which I think is rather high-end. We made a last minute decision for lunch on our penultimate day, and involved the best sushi I have ever had. R is a bit of a sushi novice, so I ordered for those of us, and it was absolutely fantastic. Fresh, great flavours, and beautifully made. The problem now is that I am not sure that I will be able to eat sushi in the UK again, as it seems bound to disappoint! It also cost less than £15 a head, with two bottles of wine between the four of us.

The other place that we had a fantastic meal was Ginja. I had to book this a month in advance for a Saturday evening table, and it was a cab ride away from our hotel. R looked increasingly worried as the cab pulled over seemingly in the middle of nowhere. I think he thought I had totally lost it when we were directed down a long dark alleyway with assurances that was where we were supposed to be going!

Luckily we came out in a rather dark room, and were given the choice of the tables for two which weren’t taken, which was a nice touch. The restaurant is fusion, which we have never really eaten before, or certainly not in the way that this meant. The menu took a bit of getting used to, as it merely listed all of the ingredients in each dish with no indication of how they fitted together. However, we eventually made a decision, and I think we were both pleased with our choices.

I can’t do more than list the primary ingredients, as there were so many different aspects and flavours that there is no way I can remember, since I didn’t take notes and it was too dark for photos. I had prawns as a starter, which is one of their signature dishes, and then ostrich for my main course. The ostrich was interesting. It had quite a course texture, and actually one that I didn’t overly care for, but the flavour was amazingly rich and gamey. R particularly enjoyed his beef three ways as well.

We couldn’t manage pudding, but overall it was an amazing experience, which I don’t think I have done justice to here. The flavours and presentation were sensational, and the service just the right balance of professional and friendly. I hope I get the opportunity to go back.

No comments:

Post a Comment