Monday 26 October 2009

Frozen Yoghurt

I needed a quick treat at lunchtime last week, after a fairly hellish morning in the office, but didn’t want to resort to the clichéd chocolate bar. I recently read about the rise of the frozen yogurt bar in London in Time Out, and decided to check out the closest one to my office. After a quick bit of research that turned out to be Yog, on Charlotte Street, so off I set.

There seems to be a theme with these frozen yogurt places, from my limited experience anyway. The only other one I know is Snog, in South Kensington, but I have only ever walked past. Both have single syllable names (remarkably similar ones too). They also have similar décor, predominantly white with flashes of bright colours. The menu is straightforward at Yog, small or large frozen yogurt in either natural or dark chocolate flavours, with a selection of toppings laid out in the counter.

I went for a plain dark chocolate. It was good, but both the yogurt and the chocolate are quite strong flavours, and I felt that they competed with each other more than complemented. It definitely fitted the bill as a light treat though (a regular chocolate one had 119 calories), and I think I will be returning.

The next day I was walking through Covent Garden at lunchtime and remembered about Yu-Foria, which is another frozen yogurt shop, downstairs in the market building. They also have a stall on Thursdays at the Covent Garden market. I though that it might be interesting to compare and contrast the two, so I popped in.

They had a similar offering to Yog, although there seemed to be more tempting unhealthy toppings, such as marshmallows and bits of fudge. They offer natural, chocolate and a special flavour, although no where did I see it advertised what the special actually was, which seems a bit strange. It was slightly more expensive here, although I suppose they can get away with it in the heart of tourist-land.

In the interests of comparing like with like I went for a plain chocolate. This version was much creamier than that at Yog, and the chocolate was much less strong. This meant that it ended up not tasting of much really. I like my chocolate really dark, so the Yog one was my preference.

To be honest I think I went down the wrong track with these frozen yogurts, and I should have gone for a plain yogurt with a topping. Perhaps my next post will be a taste test of those!

No comments:

Post a Comment