Friday 2 October 2009

Drawing Room Tea Cake



Why is it that as soon as the dietician said that I couldn’t eat wheat all I wanted to do was bake stuff? And I have this real urge to learn to make bread properly. I even started looking up courses on the internet, until I realised it wasn’t really feasible! (For the record, one of the courses at the Lighthouse Bakery would be my choice).

The bread will have to wait and see if I can go back to eating wheat, as I don’t feel confident enough with regular bread-making to start experimenting, particularly as it must be difficult as all the gluten-free bread I have come across so far is not worth eating!

Cakes and cookies/biscuits are another matter however, particularly since I have discovered Doves gluten-free flour. I just use this in place of regular flour, adding a bit of extra baking powder if the recipe demands it, and some xantham gum. So far everything has worked out pretty well, and people can’t tell they are gluten-free if they don’t know.

One of the best things has been this cake. It has been on my must-cook list for about a million years, but I couldn’t find the required ‘vine fruit mix’, and since I didn’t know what it was I wasn’t sure what to replace it with. It turns out just to be a mix of raisins, although they are particularly good raisins. The recipe is from an old Waitrose recipe card, where it goes under the name of Lady Grey tea cake, and the vine fruits are from there, but any raisins or sultanas could be substituted. As cake goes this is pretty low fat too. It doesn’t have too much sugar, and there is no butter or oil in it at all.

The flavour of the tea really shone through, as did the lemon, and soaking the fruit made the whole cake really moist. R even said I could make this again – the highest praise!

Drawing Room Tea Cake

2 tea bags (I used Whittards drawing room tea, which has bergamot in it)
125g caster sugar
300g vine fruit mix (any combination of raisins or sultanas would do)
2 medium eggs
225 plain flour (Doves gluten-free)
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp xantham gum (only if you are using gluten-free flour)
Zest and juice of 1 lemon

Pour 300ml of boiling water over the tea bags, in a bowl. After about three minutes remove the tea bags and put the vine fruit mix in. Stir well, and then leave to soak for 4-12 hours (trying not to eat them all as you walk past).

Then just add all of the other ingredients to the fruit and water, stir well, and pour into a lined 1lb loaf tin. Bake at 180C for about an hour, or until a skewer comes out clean. I found it needed another 15 minutes or so.
Serve sliced, with tea (or eat standing up in the kitchen because you can't resist!). It made the house smell heavenly too.

2 comments:

  1. Yum! A good cup of coffee and at least two slices of this loaf cake, life will be perfect.

    I enjoyed your blog post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Velva - Thanks! I totally agree, particularly on a wet miserable day like today in London.

    ReplyDelete