Wednesday 11 March 2009

Hampshire weekend

I like going down to my parents for the weekend. Partly it is getting out of London and getting some country air, but it is also spending time in the kitchen without feeling guilty about not doing chores in the flat.

There was absolutely nothing planned for this weekend, which is such a luxury. My mother had already done most of the cooking for Saturday, so I didn’t get too involved with that. On Sunday however, I decided that I wanted to start the day with ricotta pancakes, which seem to have caught my attention a few times recently.

After a bit of googling we ended up with Gordon Ramsey’s recipe for ricotta and banana pancakes with pecan and maple syrup. Apart from a bit of faff with whisking the egg whites and stirring them in, this was a simple recipe which tasted delicious.

I then wanted to make a rhubarb based pudding for Sunday lunch. Again, I hit the internet, with the thought that something with almonds and possibly orange would be good. This recipe from Waitrose looked good, and it was really simple to make. It was really light and moist (hate that word), with the different flavours coming through well, and complementing each other. You really got the taste of the rhubarb, which of course was the whole point.

Both of these recipes are going in my ever expanding file.

Chelsea won at the weekend too, so Wembley here we come (although I don't really like going there for a semi).

No comments:

Post a Comment