Monday 4 January 2010

Mini-Bakewell Tarts

While doing the Christmas baking I ended up with spare pastry and frangipane. Normally at this time of year I would make mini mincemeat tarts, but I had run out of mincemeat too, and given the snowy weather I didn’t fancy going out to get any. I therefore decided to put jam in the instead, thereby turning them into Bakewell tarts.

All I did was roll out the pastry and then line a muffin tin with pastry rounds. I blind baked them for about 10 minutes, until they were just starting to brown around the edges. Then I added a thin layer of jam, and topped this with a spoonful of frangipane mixture and then a sprinkling of flaked almonds. They were then baked for another 12 minutes or so, until the frangipane was golden.

Traditionally these would be made with raspberry jam, but we only had gooseberry and elderflower, which was delicious. I think they would be really good with blackcurrant as well, as a bit of tartness helps to set off the sweetness of the frangipane.

These were so good that R wouldn’t let me share them when we had friends round!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats on Foodie Blogroll. Now you're in the big time! Hope you get lots of traffic to your blog.... www.sacramento-blog-uncut.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete